Google

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Prayers and Our Purpose

God spoke to me this morning through His word, and I want to share it with you.

First, this is the verse that spoke so clearly to me: (I’ve heard/read it many times in my life, but this time…I got it.)

Jeremiah: 29:11-14:
“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. 14 I will be found by you,” declares the Lord, “and will bring you back from captivity.[b] I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you,” declares the Lord, “and I will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile.”

Ok.  So here’s what I got:

In the past, I have always considered a “purpose” to imply something I am to work towards, or to accomplish (in the future).  It’s almost scary to think, if I have ONE purpose, when I fulfill that one purpose, what happens to me?  Is that when God decides to take me Home? Am I finished here?

But this verse changed my way of thinking.  Our purpose is not one thing to accomplish in the futureIt is ongoing, and present and active. Our purpose is NOW!  Our purpose is to SEEK HIM and through seeking Him, we are seeking His kingdom…which IS our future.  (And by seeking his Kingdom now, His kingdom is also our present.)

Think about what that looks like for you.  It is different for everyone at different times.  Sometimes,  seeking Him may involve searching for His guidance in all that you do. (This is praying.)  Other times, it may involve seeking Him in other people. (This is compassion and Love.)  And other times, it may involve seeking His desire for you to accomplish something in the present moment…where you are….with the people around you. (This is action.)  

…and by Seeking Him, we are praying…we are asking….we are searching for His guidance…for HIM, Who is LOVE. (1 John 4:8)

Jesus says it says is very clearly in  Matthew 6:33: “But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.” (Read Matthew 6:34 for even more awesome comfort.)


I really want to know what you think about all of this.  God is so amazing, and I just Love Him and you!!!

No comments:

Some of my personal favorites! Check them out!